The makeup crew assists in the design and execution of makeup and hairstyles for a production. The makeup crew is the custodian of the theatre’s supply of makeup, wigs and hairpieces.
Typical procedures for a production:
- Read the script to gain an understanding of period and style of the show.
- Determine if any specialty makeup, wigs, hairpieces, or hairstyles are required.
- Meet with the director to determine makeup and hair styles for each character.
- Inventory makeup and supplies arranging for more as needed.
- Make makeup appliances or hairpieces as needed.
- Schedule makeup session(s) to demonstrate styles for final approval.
- Document the makeup and hair designs.
- Schedule makeup session(s) to apply and teach the makeup design to the actors.
- Schedule makeup session(s) during the run of a production.
- Each evening clean and prepare the makeup and makeup area for the next performance.
- At the end of a production, properly store makeup and hairpieces and replenish supplies.